The new European Union (EU) Radio Equipment Directive (RED) 2014/53/EU came into force as of 13 June 2016, replacing the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive (R&TTE).
The RED is applicable to all electrical and electronic devices that intentionally emit and receive radio waves at frequencies below 3000 GHz. And, for the first time, broadcast radio and TV receivers, fall within its scope.
The RED requires compliance with essential requirements associated with health and safety, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and the effective and efficient use of the radio spectrum. As with other EU directives, the RED relies on harmonised standards for specific technical requirements, and compliance with these provides a presumption of conformity with the Directive’s essential requirements.
While the RED is now the required method to show compliance of radio and telecoms equipment sold across the Europe Union, equipment compliant with the current R&TTE Directive may continue to be placed on the market until 13 June 2017.
How can TÜV SÜD help you?
TÜV SÜD BABT is one of the world’s leading independent certification bodies for telecommunications and certifies wireless products for the European Union, USA, Canada and Japan. As an EU Notified Body, TÜV SÜD BABT is authorised to evaluate products for compliance with the requirements of the RED and approve the use of the CE Mark.
TÜV SÜD also offers a Global Market Access (GMA) service, which helps you to manage the challenge of product compliance against diverse national requirements. We can deliver one-stop compliance solutions for most wireless communications products, helping you to meet the requirements of Europe’s new RED, as well as streamline exports to other markets worldwide, including:
- USA – Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- Canada – Industry Canada
- Japan - Japanese Radio Approval Conformity
We offer a range of services to assist manufacturers and their agents to gain access to multiple global markets, including:
- Testing – As TÜV SÜD is accredited for radio and telecommunications testing, we can conduct testing and assessments of radio equipment in our fully accredited laboratories or at your own site.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with country-specific requirements, such as Declarations of Conformity and the application of CE marking to your product for the European RED.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on worldwide regulations and standards applicable to radio and telecommunications equipment, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations. We can advise which standards and directives are applicable to your product in every country.
- Extended support - We can offer support in complying with certification requirements in conjunction with other regulations and standards applicable to radio equipment and devices.
For further information, please click here.