Relevant for: Softlines
Textiles and apparel available in the Taiwan market should comply with a mandatory inspection regime based on CNS 15290, Safety of textiles (general requirements). This regulates infant’s garments and clothing accessories, underwear, towels and bedding. General garments, sweaters, swimwear and hosiery are also within the scope. Taiwan enforcement authority, Bureau of Standards, Metrology & Inspection (BSMI), carries out market surveillance activities and publishes the results on its website.
In June 2016, the BSMI published test results of 19 clothing for infants under 24 months. The tests were evaluated against CNS 15290. Moreover, the labels on the garments were examined against labelling criteria for apparel and garments. The products which do not comply with the relevant provisions should be either withdrawn from the market or responsible parties should carry out necessary corrective actions. Otherwise, responsible parties will be subjected to penalties.
Here are the test results of the infant garments:
- All infant clothing met the chemical requirements such as azo dyes, formaldehyde as stated in CNS 15290. The phthalates content were tested in baby clothing with plastic or plastisol print using CNS 15503, General requirements for safety of children's products.
- Three of them did not comply with the drawstring requirement according to CNS 15503. The cord on the chest and waist area were longer than 140mm and this may lead to injuries. The products did not comply with CNS 15291, Safety of children‘s clothing- Cords and drawstrings on children's clothing- Specifications.
- Seven of them did not meet the labelling requirements.
o Two of them were not labelled with the commodity inspection label
o Five of them did not meet the labelling criteria for apparel and garments as follows,
- the fibre content of garment did not match with the label. The tolerance of the fibre content should be within 3%;
- improper use of the fibre name;
- improper labelling of care instruction
- the dimension and size unit of the garment were not clearly indicated