Relevant for: Softlines
On 22 February 2018, the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) released the 19th edition of the AAFA Restricted Substances List (RSL)1, covering apparel, footwear, travel goods, home textiles, and other fashion accessories.
The RSL2 only includes those materials, chemicals and substances that are restricted or banned in the final products and it does not include restricted substances used in production processes or in the factory. Major changes of this edition of the RSL are listed in the table below.
- Updated the EU test methods for textile to ISO 14362-1&3:2017
- Added Vietnamese arylamines restriction
- Changed the test method of chlorinated paraffins (C10-C13) (SCCP) to ISO 18219: 2015
- Added heptabromodiphenyl ether (heptaBDE), hexabromodiphenyl ether (hexaBDE), tetrabromodiphenyl ether (tetraBDE) and hexabromocyclododecane (HBCDD)
- Added Swiss requirement on blue colorant
- Added perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) requirement under REACH Annex XVII entry 68
- Newly added pentachlorobenzene which is regulated in Switzerland
- Added test method ISO 14389:2014 for EU
- Elaborated the scope of EU REACH Annex XVII entry 52 phthalates on child care articles
- Newly added diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP) which is listed on REACH SVHC Candidate List
- Added US CPSC 16 CFR 1307 requirements on 8 phthalates
- Newly added hexachlorobutadiene because of EU POPs Regulation, Swiss and Canadian legislation
- Added Swiss requirement on carbon tetrachloride and 1,1,1-trichloroethane
- Added nonylphenol/nonylphenol ethoxylates (NP/NPEO) requirement under Safety Quality Mark Act (KC Mark)
The RSL can be downloaded for free at the AAFA Website.