Relevant for: Electrical & electronic, Health & beauty, Hardlines, Softlines, Toys & children's products
On 12 January 2017, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) published the 16th update of the REACH Candidate List1. Four new Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs) were added. Hence, the total number of SVHCs on the Candidate List increases from 169 to 1732.
Out of the six substances3 which underwent public consultation during September and October, only four substances were included in the Candidate List. All of them were judged to fulfil the SVHC criteria. These substances are one bisphenol compound, two alkylphenol compounds and one perfluorinated compound. Table A lists these four new substances, their identification numbers, potential applications and the property that classifies the substances as SVHC.
4-tert-butylphenol (CAS no. 98-54-4) and Benzene-1,2,4-tricarboxylic acid 1,2-anhydride (trimellitic anhydride) (CAS no. 552-30-7) substances are not included to the Candidate List as proposed during the public consultation, as the Member State Committee (MSC)4 did not unanimously agree that both substances meets the criteria to be SVHCs. The MSC’s comments and the minority position of those disagreeing on the identification will be submitted to European Commission for a final decision.
Table A. Four SVHCs that were newly included to the REACH Candidate List on 12 January 2017
|Reason for inclusion||Potential Application|
|4,4'-isopropylidenediphenol (Bisphenol A)|
|Toxic for reproduction (Article 57 c)|
- Used in manufacture of polycarbonates;
- Used for the synthesis of other polymers such as polyester carbonate, polyarylates, polysulfones, polyetherimides, polyols, polyamides and polybenzoxazines;
- Used in manufacture of epoxy resins and other resins, such as vinyl ester resins, phenolic plastic resins and unsaturated polyester resins;
- Used as an additive in the coating applied to thermal paper.
|Nonadecaflurodecanoic acid (PFDA) and its sodium and ammonium salts|
335-76-2, 3830-45-3, 3108-42-7(206-400-3, -, 221-470-5)
|Toxic for reproduction (Article 57 c); PBT (Article 57 d)|
- Used as a plasticiser, a lubricant, a surfactant, a wetting agent and a corrosion inhibitor;
- Can be present in nanosprays and impregnation sprays, outdoor textiles, carpets, gloves, paper-based food contact materials and ski waxes.
|Equivalent level of concern having probable serious effects to the environment (Article 57 f)|
- Used in the production of perfumes and fragrances;
- Used as a monomer in the production of polymers (phenolic resins);
- Used in formulation / end use of adhesives, coatings, printing inks and paints.
4-Heptylphenol, branched and linear [substances with a linear and/or branched alkyl chain with a carbon number of 7 covalently bound predominantly in position 4 to phenol, covering also UVCB-and well-defined substances which include any of the individual isomers or a combination thereof]
|-||Equivalent level of concern having probable serious effects to the environment (Article 57 f)|
- Polymers derived from phenol, heptyl derives are usually used in lubricant additives.