|Scope||Clause No.||Main changes compared to 2011 version|
|Labelling, Physical and Mechanical|
|Stuffing Materials||4.3.7 and 8.29 |
- Pennsylvania stuffed toys requirements have been removed.
- The stereo widefield microscope is required for Stuffıng Materials Evaluation.
- Revised to align more closely with EN71 and ISO 8124.
|Cords, straps and Elastics||4.14|
- Straps used for waist restraints on ride-on toys are exempted from the free length and loop requirements.
|Projectiles||4.21 and 8.14|
- Modified to align closely with ISO 8124 and EN71 by adding:
- Allowable projectile kinetic energy density as 2,500 J/m2.
- 57mm length requirement for suction cup projectiles.
- Mouth-actuated projectile toy requirements.
- Projectiles with a foam shaft and suction cup requirement.
- The way to use of gauge for leading edge radius measurements of rigid projectiles.
- Button or coin cell battery requirements.
- Additional labelling regarding button or coin cell battery.
- Temperature and current requirements added for Lithium batteries.
- New test added for toys that contain secondary cells or batteries.
|Magnets||4.38 and 8.25|
- Modified to align with ISO 8124 and EN71 by adding:
- Soaking test and compression test
- Gauss meter accuracy
- Nickel disk specified
- Magnets labelling has been revised.
|Toy chest||4.41 and 8.27|
- Requirements from ASTM F834 are combined again in this revision.
|Component testing||NOTE 3|
- Compliance testing of raw materials or components is acceptable, only if the results obtained are representative of those which would be obtained by testing finished items.
|Clarification on lead exemptions||NOTE 5|
- Total lead content exemptions can be extended to also soluble content.
- Paper and paperboard are exempted from substrate testing for all elements.
|Clarification on requirements on certain toy materials||22.214.171.124 (1) (e)|
- Paper stickers with no laminate coating are exempted from substrate
testing (i.e. paper exemption).
- Plastic and other laminated stickers are tested as a single polymeric material.
- Printed textiles with separable printing should test the printed matter as a surface coating, and the remaining textile substrate tested separately.
- All other unprinted/undyed fabrics textiles and printed textiles where the printing cannot be removed, the entire material should be tested as a single item.
|Cadmium extraction test on small parts metal||126.96.36.199 (2)|
- It is required when the total screening result is > 75ppm.
|Alternative total screen method||188.8.131.52|
- Introduced HD-XRF for total screen for homogenous polymers with reference ASTM F2853-10e1
- Extended the scope to include cleanliness testing to feather products
- Revised the USP method.
- Clarified the microbiological requirements for drinking water.
- Provided CTFA Microbiology Guidelines as additional test protocol options.
- Clarified and defined the requirements
- Preservative effectiveness is now also required for liquids, pastes, putties, gels, and powders.
- Listed avian feather products which are determined not subjected to testing.
- Revised the definition to reference the term ‘cosmetic’ as defined in the Food, Drugs & Cosmetic Act.