Relevant for: Electrical & electronics, Health & beauty, Hardlines, Softlines, Toys & children's products
On 17 December 2015, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) published the 14th update of the REACH Candidate List. Five new Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs) were added. Hence, the total number of SVHCs on the Candidate List increases from 163 to 168.
Out of the seven substances which underwent public consultation during September and October, only five substances were included in the Candidate List. As all of them were judged to fulfill the SVHC criteria. These substances are two phenolic benzotriazoles, one organosulphur compound, one benzene derivative and one PFC compound. Table A lists these five new substances, their identification numbers, potential applications and the property that classifies the substances as SVHC.
Dicyclohexyl phthalate (CAS no. 84-61-7) and hexamethylene diacrylate (HDDA) (CAS no. 13048-33-4) substances are not included to the Candidate List as proposed during the public consultation. Sweden withdrew the proposal of this phthalate and postponed to a later submission date. It may be identified as SVHC for next round. While HDDA was proposed to be SVHC because of its skin sensitizing properties. It was also the first time that a substance was proposed because of this property. However, the Member State Committee (MSC) did not unanimously agree that HDDA meets the criteria to be an SVHC. The MSC’s comments on HDDA and the minority position of those disagreeing on the identification will be submitted to European Commission for a final decision.
Table A. Five SVHCs that were newly included to the REACH Candidate List on 17 December 2015
|Substance name||CAS No. (EC no.)||Reason for inclusion||Potential application|
|Carcinogenic (Article 57 a)|
- Used as intermediates in the manufacture of fine and bulk chemicals;
- Used in the formulation of mixtures (including electrolyte);
- Used in the electrolyte fluid of lithium ion batteries.
|vPvB (Article 57 e)|
- Used as UV protection agents for plastic, rubber, cosmetic and coating of surfaces, e.g. cars or special industrial wood coatings
|vPvB (Article 57 e)|
- Used as UV protection agents for plastic, rubber, cosmetics and coating e.g. cars or special industry wood coatings
|Toxic for reproduction (Article 57 c)|
- Mainly used for the production of other substances;
- Present in reprographic agents in the printing industry;
- Used for the preparation of formulations, use as processing aids and use as solvents.
|Perfluorononan-1-oic acid (2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,9,9,9-heptadecafluorononanoic acid and its sodium and ammonium salts|
375-95-1; 21049-39-8; 4149-60-4(206-801-3)
|Toxic for reproduction (Article 57 c);PBT (Article 57 d) |
- Used as a processing aid for the fluoropolymer manufacture;
- Used as lubricating oil additive, surfactant for fire extinguishers, cleaning agent, textile antifouling finishing agent, polishing surfactant, waterproofing agents and in liquid crystal display panels
- vPvB: very persistent and very bioaccumulative
- PBT: persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic