One-stop solutions for ensuring the electromagnetic compatibility of your products
A growing number of electronic devices are being used in our daily lives, making electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) increasingly important. To comply with market requirements and avoid costly recalls, manufacturers in industries such as consumer products, medical devices, industrial machinery, railway, automotive, aerospace and military equipment must ensure that electromagnetic disturbances do not interfere with the function of their products. These manufacturers are also under pressure to maintain quality while reducing cost and time to market.
What is EMC testing?
Electromagnetic compatibility is the ability of equipment or systems to function satisfactorily in their electromagnetic environment without introducing intolerable electromagnetic disturbance to anything in that environment. EMC testing is a series of tests to ensure the product’s electromagnetic compatibility.
Why is EMC testing important?
EMC compliance is a mandatory requirement in most markets including Europe, the U.S., China, Korea, Australia and New Zealand. EMC testing is necessary to help you meet regulatory requirements, improve product performance and reduce the risk of costly non-compliance. Third-party EMC tests and conformity assessments also help to strengthen your competitive position in the market.
How can you prepare for EMC testing?
It is important to consider EMC requirements from the beginning of the product design cycle, apply good EMC engineering practices, provide a list of sources of clock and critical EMC components, and prepare supporting equipment with satisfactory EMC performance.
Our services at a glance
TÜV SÜD’s experts offer comprehensive testing and certification based on their complete knowledge of EMC legislation, guidelines and standards. Our testing can cover all types of products, from small appliances to large defence industry machines. We assist you to resolve any EMC regulatory issues, from design concept to final production. We provide a one-stop service that covers all of your testing and certification needs. Our experts provide project management to ensure that your EMC tests run smoothly. You can choose to have tests performed at our labs, on your premises or anywhere your product is installed.
Our EMC testing capabilities
- Antenna immunity to RF voltage
- Antenna input immunity
- Antenna screening effectiveness
- Conducted disturbances immunity
- Conducted emissions (continuous and discontinuous interference)
- Electrostatic discharge (ESD) immunity
- Electrical disturbances from conduction and coupling immunity for vehicles
- Electrical fast transient / burst immunity
- Harmonic current emission
- Harmonics and interharmonics immunity
- Immunity from radiated fields
- Immunity to induced voltages
- On-site EMC testing
- Power frequency magnetic field / oscillatory waves immunity
- Power interference
- Power supply conditioning
- Radiated emissions
- Radiated field immunity
- Voltage fluctuation / flicker
- Voltage surge immunity
- Voltage dips / interruptions immunity
- Magnetic filed measurement (EMF)
- Electric field measurement (EMF)
- Electromagnetic fiel measurement (EMF)
- Induced current density due to the electric field (EMF for lightning equipment)
Global EMC accreditations that inspire confidence
EMC Accreditations for North America
- FCC (USA)
- A2LA (American Association for Laboratory Accreditation)
- NVLAP (National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program)
- AEMCLRP (Automotive EMC Laboratory Recognition Program)
- IC (Canada)
UK EMC Accreditations
- VCA (Vehicles)
- CESG (Defence)
- CAA (Civil Aviation)
Other EMC Accreditations
- VCCI (Japan)
- AZ/NZ (Australia / New Zealand)
- CB scheme (Global)
Other related services